Friday, September 17, 2010

Turning Back the Hands of Time

This was my mom's cookie jar. It sat on her counter for as long as I can remember and it held cookies on occasion. When I got married she passed it on to me. Taking the cookie jar was done out of necessity, not desire. I took it because I was just starting my own home. I needed to furnish it. She gave me many things. Some of them I still have, and some are - gone. Some were hers and some were her mom's. I used the cookie jar for it's intended purpose for a long time before I retired it. Now it sits behind glass doors, staring out, waiting, watching. Perhaps I should use it again. It is reminiscent of things good and simple. And isn't that what we all want?

One doesn't think about what tomorrow will be or who will be in it or the things of it. I didn't think such thoughts when I received those things from my mom. It was of little concern to me. Life seemed to be forever and how would she never be there. Looking back sometimes is harder than looking ahead.

Now, I don't want you to think I want to turn back the hands of time. That is not my desire. From time to time I simply want to reflect on "the good ol' days" and be done with it. And share them, of course.

1 comment:

  1. Barb, I just love you so much. Your words are so poignant and true and real. Thank you for sharing who you are.

    ReplyDelete