We've all done it. We all have them. Comparisons.
Somewhere along our paths someone makes an impression on us, be it good or be it bad. And when we see someone doing or hear someone saying something akin to what that person did or said, that is when our minds go. Back to them. And. . . . we compare.
My mom was like that.
There was one person in particular that Mom always compared us to. And that was Caroline Reedy. Mom told us that when she was little there was a girl (or woman) named Caroline Reedy that lived down the creek from her. She went on to say that this girl (woman) had - as we term it today - a learning disability. She wore her clothes backwards and inside out. But the thing that was most related to us was the fact that she always wore her shoes on the wrong feet.
So, needless to say, whenever we did slip up and put something on inside out or backwards, or our shoes on the wrong feet, which was usually the case, Mom's words to us were: "Alright, Caroline Reedy."
I've been known to use the phrase on my kids and grand kids on occasion, only to receive blank stares in return. Oh well.
The reason I'm even bringing this up today is, this morning when I got out of bed I put my slippers on the wrong feet. What can I say? "Alright, Caroline Reedy!"
I never met the woman, but I think I saw her once.
But, that is a story for another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment