OK. Here is the low down, down low, upside down gist of it all. After being abandoned, that is.
One can only take so much credit for a big giant mess. I slowly came to realize that when the mess is that big, it becomes akin to: "It takes two to Tango". Meaning - IT WASN'T ALL MY FAULT.
It was a long drawn out process to get there, but got there, I did.
I took the blame for all the mess.
I changed to suit his needs.
I bent over backwards to keep the peace.
When he left the first time, I took him back.
And started the whole process over again when that didn't work.
Until, it was done. Over. Kaput.
He left me jobless. No support. No care.
I don't know when it hit me that I would survive, but it did. I'm sooo glad about that.
I got a job. I found day care. I even argued with FmHA to get a second mortgage on the house. Ex-hubby had gotten his little ranger repo-ed and the balance that was remaining after they sold it fell back on me. I would have lost the house. A stable environment for my girls. My dad wouldn't let me live with him. No sir-ree, Bob. Not happening. Glory be, what's a woman to do? Man up is what I had to do. I had no choice but to ask for a second mortgage. At My little meeting with FmHA I was told: Quote: "It's not our policy to give second mortgages." Oh yea? After much discussion about the matter, I stood up and quietly told the young guy behind the desk - "You will give me a second mortgage. You are not putting my girls out on the street." End. Of. Discussion. Period. Elvis left the building. A few days later I got a call from this youngster. He politely told me that I could have the second mortgage. Well now, that wasn't so hard now was it? And. . . .what a relief! ! !
My road was not easy, but it was rewarding most of the time. I did what I had to do to ensure that my girls would also survive. I didn't like always being strong - worrying about finances, food, clothes, bills. There were flat tires and dark stormy nights with little girls. There were tears, loneliness, busyness and one tired mama. I hated it and I loved it. It was my burden of responsibility and I would carry it.
It didn't hurt that the song "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor came out then. I think it helped pull me thru. It was my "pep talk". It was before I knew the Lord as my personal saviour. But, I can honestly say, when I look back, God had my back. He was patiently waiting for me.
And, Bob came along and things got easier. Much easier. But, that's another story.
Keep blogging. A therapy that is good for you and me too! Love ya "Big Sis".
ReplyDeleteI am LOVING this new blog of yours.... It gives me inspiration because if you can do it Sista'...so can the rest of us...Survive, I mean. Each of our situations are different, but we all need that sort of pick yourself up by the boot straps & move on mentality ... Thanks for sharing Barb...I started writing an entry about my past... weeks ago. but I scrapped it..I feel like I have too much going on to concentrate on my silly old past.....
ReplyDelete