Friday, December 3, 2010

Sweet Gum Seed Pods

This is a picture from Thurmont of the "Sweet Gum Seed Pod" wreaths. Prickly, huh?


So, on Marta today, she was going to show how to make a "Sweet Gum Wreath". Curiosity had me. What is sweet gum? Hmm. . . . Little did I know, I already knew what it was! And I knew immediately when I saw the "supplies" she had to make the wreath. I knew the gum seed pod very well, as a matter of fact. They may sound sweet and sugary, but in reality they are little beasts with spiny skin! Akin to the wolf in sheep's clothing, I might add.

When I was in my early teens, 12-14 years old, I guess, we, we being my brother Bobby, my sister Donna and the neighbor boys, Tommy and Michael Shrek, (yes, it was their real last name) decided, out of boredom, to have a "battle". The weapons of choice were, you guessed it, those prickly little gum seed pods. Tommy and Michael had a huge tree in their back yard so the bounty was great.

After we gathered our ammo - very carefully I might add - and picked teams, the battle began!

There was no mercy, no wimping out, no tattle-taling. We had to take our hits like a. . a. . . teenager!

It was warm enough for us to be outside without "protective gear". Now just let me tell you - when those things hit your skin, you knew it. They left little marks similar to the prongs from the TB vaccination thingy. And. . . they hurt. And. . . sometimes you had a little, teeny, weeny drop of blood. We were ruthless. We were . . . stupid! You know. . "stupid is as stupid does", and we did!
Well, I was holding my own until I looked up towards the enemy line and meet a seed pod face to face. It left its indelible marks. Right. Between. My. Eyes!
DON'T CRY! I WON'T CRY! I DIDN'T CRY!

I did laugh about it later. I carried my battle scars for a while. Somewhat proudly, I might add. Can you just imagine a young teenage girl walking around with little "dots" between her eyes as if it were completely normal? I wonder now what people were thinking?? Better yet, what was I thinking? ! !
The funny thing is, I don't even know who "won"! Ahhh. . . the ways of war.

On a side note: While in Thurmont this fall there was a booth that had tons of wreaths made from these things. (of course Marta's are prettier). I wasn't sure weather to laugh, scoff, or be horrified. Just the thought of one of those things being in my home terrified me. Well, no. . not really, but it sounds possible! My question is, though: "Who gathered all those little prickly things? Hm?"


It's funny what triggers the memories in my brain, simply funny!

1 comment:

  1. I now feel 100% warned about sweet gum seed fights!haha! love it!

    ReplyDelete