Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"School Days. . . . "

"School days, school days
Dear old golden rule days
Readin' and 'ritin' and 'rithmetic
Taught to the tune of the hickory stick. . ."

Music by Gus Edwards; Lyrics by Will D. Cobb, 1907

The other day I was reading on MSN news about a high school teacher who had gotten suspended because of comments on her blog about the behaviour and attitude of some of her students. No names were mentioned, no description or identifying marks that would allow one to guess who they were. She had merely "vented" her day's feelings. The blog was/is not about her students alone, but included all aspects of her daily life. Very much like any other novice blogger. This made me think back to the days I was in school.

I remember in fourth grade having an elderly teacher whom I considered to be very strict. She tolerated no nonsense - from anyone. She wasn't afraid to crack your knuckles with a ruler if she had to. I feared her. She was the teacher that sat with her students during lunch while most other teachers sat at the teacher's table. We had to pass by her when we were finished eating and show her our tray. If we had not eaten what was on our tray she would send us back to our seats to correct that problem. She told us were weren't wasting food our parents had to pay for. Period. No argument. One day lunch served black olives. I didn't eat mine. She sent me back. I was devastated. I didn't like them. I sat there for a while pondering what to do. So. . . every time she looked away, I would drop an olive on the floor until they were all gone. I am still guilt ridden by that! ! ! Every time I see black olives my mind goes back to that day and Mrs. G. She was also a fair woman. There was a boy in my classroom that was of the upper crust in society and his behavior sometimes reflected that. I think because of his "status" he got away with a little more than most. This teacher, however, saw beyond that. She saw a student. And on this particular day, a disobedient student. She sent him to the office for his just reward - a paddle. Yep, they were allowed to paddle back then. I couldn't believe my eyes! This boy got a paddle? I gained a whole new respect for this woman. This crotchety, old teacher not only taught academics but integrity as well.

Many of my elementary teachers were stern, no nonsense teachers who were there to do their job and make sure you did yours.

In eighth grade Junior High, I had a science teacher that did things a little differently. I don't remember his name, but I do remember his punishment technique. If you didn't want to cry in class, (especially if you were a boy) you better behave. Remember now, most 12 year olds aren't exceptionally big or strong. But, there's always one - one to test the waters, push the envelope, nudge the boundaries. This boy in my class just wouldn't behave. Teacher got fed up. He sent him to the back of the room with two encyclopedias. One for each hand. He had to hold his arms out, palms up with a book on each palm. He could not let his arms come down. The boy was in tears in less than ten minutes. I felt his pain (I went home that night and tried it). Needless to say, Teacher had control of his room. I don't remember any more encyclopedia exercises that year! And I'm sure that boy went out of his way to behave, at least in Science class!

I'm sure other teachers used other means of discipline. We didn't turn out like monsters. We weren't scarred beyond repair. But we did respect the teachers and each other. (for the most part, within our best ability - we were, after all, kids). That fourth grade boy became a lawyer. I don't know if he even remembers that day, but I do. Not because he was punished, but because of the fairness of the teacher. No double standards here - no sir.

It saddens me to know that someone has to deal with someone else's child's poor behavior or attitude and then be rebuked for "venting" on their own personal blog. Thank you "Big Brother" for painting responsible adults into a corner and expecting them to perform miracles with the "Little Sibling" that has run amuck. Perhaps the "hickory stick" should be reinstated. Just sayin'.

2 comments:

  1. Boy, Barb I totally agree with you. It is a crazy, upside-down, wrong is right and right is wrong kinda world we have going on...sometimes I wonder how much crazier it can possibly get. I always love these posts so much. I want to start a memory blog too, one of these days it will happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pen your memeories so well "Big Sister". Our society has changed so much since we were in school..but that's what happens when you take God and decipline out of shool and home. The lack of respect for each other is beyond understanding to me. You keep blogging and I'll keep reading. Love you bushells!

    ReplyDelete