Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Funeral

It was what it was. A funeral. Plain and simple.
The thing that sticks out the most - at the funeral home, which is where the funeral was -
was the division. The division of family from friends. I didn't like that. Not at all. It made me
feel "different" in an uncomfortable way. I thought it was a time of coming together - of sharing - caring openly - holding.

Yea, yea, we did that during the viewing, but when the nitty gritty of the service arrived, we - we being the immediate family - were sent to one part of the funeral home, while friends and other family members ended up on the "other side of the curtain". What is that? Exactly? Why? For privacy? Let me tell ya - if they hadn't seen me lose it already, I probably wasn't going to. (It wasn't that way for Dad's funeral. I'm glad.)

The ride to the graveside left me time to think and observe. The observation that triggered the most memorable thought was the traffic. How everyone was going about their daily business while we were on our way to lay our mom to rest. It didn't make sense, yet it made me realize that life goes on - with or without you or your loved one.

And it did, and it is . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment