Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rewards For My Labor. . .

I'm a firm believer you get rewarded for your labor.  My labor of cleaning out my cedar closet and two of the bins in there paid off!  Below are two "finds" that I would like to share today.  There are more, but those will come later!  


When I was expecting Kelly, I just knew she was going to be a girl.  I could feel it.  Knowing that allowed me the freedom to go ahead and decorate her room before she arrived.  (Unlike the rest of her life - Kelly arrived early!  Sorry Kelly!)  I made her top crib sheets, diaper stacker, sock bag and curtains out of the Disney print above.  That is actually her diaper stacker.  I had seen similar bedding sets in the stores but couldn't afford them, so I set my crafty skills to work and made hers from  . . . .  a sheet set!



 Also, in the tub I found this bag. It is a bag from Small's Bootery.  A shoe store I used to take the girls to when they were little.  I loved that store!  I knew I would walk out with quality shoes that would last them the school year!  There weren't shoes in this bag ~ ~  no, no, but I knew what was!  And I was excited. 



Viola!   Contents of shoe bag!  Loads of Granny squares - in those lovely sixties and seventies colors - trimmed out in the traditional  black yarn - waiting to be assembled.   I remember crocheting those squares.  I had a plethora of left over yarn from projects I had worked on.  And being raised by parents who were raised by parents during the depression, I didn't throw anything away!  So. . . . there sits my solution to the problem.  The "logs" on the right are squares being held together by my knitting needles.  (Heidi - this is where my knitting needles were!)   Now all I have to do is assemble them and I'll have myself a vintage afghan. 
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!


There were tons of other "goodies" in those two tubs I sorted thru.  Quilt pieces - did you know you could fit a whole un-assembled quilt top in one, one gallon zip lock bag?  Yes, you can.  Amazing! - candle wicking, stuffing, zippers - which still had the $.25 price tag on them - miscellaneous fabric, snaps, and on and on and on . . . . .  I feared as I was sorting that I have had a fabric fetish.  Good Gravy Marie!

I shall share those bounties (and the plethora of fabric) with you as I put them to service.  I am going to put them to service. . .  and I know some people are going to be surprised!   Oh yea, they are!



1 comment:

  1. Isn't it fun to find previously worked on craft stuff. Hope you have enough to complete your afghan. Just in time for fall to work on your afghan and keep you warm as you work.

    ReplyDelete