Yesterday Bob left early to help Todd Webster work on his truck. His tranny went up. He was over there by 7:30 in the AM! More power to him, I say! I just wanted to roll over and sleep til noon, but knew I had a pressing date at the grocery store. Pressing because we were living on borrowed time with the toilet paper ~ not a comfortable feeling. So I was up and at 'em kinda early. I like that I can lounge around on a Saturday morning, sipping my cup~o~joe and think about what needs to be done. But instead I get my shower, throw in a load of laundry, and wait for Paul to pick up paint samples for Goldilocks's bedroom. By the time all was said and done, my boy had risen. Ahhh, I think. I have a "going to town partner". So, being the considerate mother that I am, I ask him if he wants to ride into town with me. "Where are you going?" asks he. Tricky, trickeey. Says I, "To the grocery store, Food Lion and Sam's Club. Maybe Marshall's. Not sure." Now I knew I would have him with the Sam's answer, and most assuredly, Marshall's. But noooo. This one back fired like an out of control muffler.
"No." says he. "I have a lot of places to go today." "Now just where do you need to go that would make you stand your mama up?" asks I. "Nunya." he says with a cocky little smile. Did you just hear that popping noise my bubble made? (Come to think about it, he gives me that reply often.) Where is this "Nunya"? Anybody?
FLASHBACK!
I think Nunya is a small village just outside of Naugatuck (pronounced by my parents as: nog - e - tuck). That was the answer we would get as kids when we asked: "Where are you/we going? Naugatuck.", the reply. Without fail or heistation. It was frustrating to say the least for I was ~ until just three minutes ago ~ sure in my heart of hearts no such place existed. It was sheer torture to get that answer. Sheer torture. Was it their way of keeping us from bugging the daylights out of them?
So as I sat here reminiscing about a place that probably did not exist it occurred to me to check ~ just three minutes ago. So check I did ~ with my trusty, best friend in cyber world, Dictionary.com. And to my dismay, simply because I wanted to believe in "make believe", it does exist. Yes, Barb, there is a Naugatuck. Here is what Mr. Webster says about it:
Naugatuck
"town (township) and borough, New Haven county, southwestern Connecticut, U.S. It lies along the Naugatuck River just south of Waterbury. "
Tsk, tsk, tsk. 'Tis a sad day to learn the cold hard truth. But it does arouse my curiosity ~ just how did my parents hear of such a place? Hm? It's not like they could run to the computer and punch in a word, or pull up a "Google" map. Did it even exist some fifty plus years ago? And, and, was this a common response amongst parents to their Nosey Nellies and Nates? Oh, the questions that will never be answered!
No comments:
Post a Comment