Friday, July 12, 2013

Mashed Potato Sandwiches, Among Other Things

As is most of the time, all it took was a picture to pop open the door of the Memory Vault in my head.  Well, the picture and its title:  "Mashed Potato Sandwiches".  I saw it on Pinterest.  Who'd thunk it?  Not me, that's for sure.

These are toasted.  REAL mashed potato sandwiches are NOT.
Nor do they have that extra "stuff" in them.  Just my opinion here.
 
When I was little ~ not so long ago ~ I used to make mashed potato sandwiches on white bread.
My mom was a good cook  and her mashed potatoes were the bomb.  Smooth, creamy, buttery mounds of fluffy goodness ~ not at all like mine.  Mine are kind of a cross between mashed and, well, un-mashed.  Lumpy would be the descriptive word here.  Lumpy. Just ask my gang.  They'll tell ya the cold, hard truth.  They spare not my feelings.  Good thing I'm thick skinned.  (I'm not really, but I tell me that all the time.)
 
If you've never had a mashed potato sandwich you just don't know what you're missing!  It sounds weird and non-traditional, but let me say, there's nothing better than warm mashed potatoes oozing from two layers of white bread.  Nothing.  I personally think those two items are a match made in Heaven.  Yep.  That good.  I probably could have ate the whole pot of potatoes along with a whole loaf of bread. 
 
In addition to mashed potato sandwiches I liked an occasional potato chip sandwich.  The "ruffle" kind of chips made the best sandwich.  They had more substance to them.  Again. . . . on white bread.
Just lay those babies on the bottom slice, slap the top slice on top of the chips, and give a good mash with the palm of your hand, and viola, you have a sandwich.  A good crunch with just the right amount of salt. 
 
And lastly, I can't leave out my affection for mayonnaise sandwiches.  That's right.  Mayonnaise.  Slather both slices of bread, slap 'em together and that's it.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. 
In the summer I would cheat a little here and add tomatoes.  Kind of makes my "quirks" a little more normal sounding because everybody eats tomato sandwiches.  Don't they? 
 
All this talk of food makes me hungry.  I think I have some cookies and Nutella, 'cause I don't have any potatoes mashed up, nor do I have ruffle chips.  I do have mayo, but it's summer and I'm sure I'd want the tomatoes to go with it and I don't have any of those either. 
 
So, junk it is.

 

1 comment: