Thursday, June 2, 2011

Voices, Volume and Various Things

This morning I had some time while Baby Girl was sleeping to make two strawberry pies and brown my ground beef to put in individual baggies and freeze. Of course I was daydreaming during the pie making adventure. It doesn't take much for me to wander down the "Daydreamer's Path". The trigger for this morning's daydream was just a simple dish towel. And I thought of Paula Deen and one thing led to another.

The other day on Paula Deen I noticed she used a folded dish towel for a pot holder - which is not uncommon to me. That's what Mom used to do and I've done it, well, forever. As I was grabbing the dish towel, the thing that took me back along with the towel was the sound of Paula Deen's voice. She sounds almost exactly like my Aunt Bobbie used to sound. The only difference is the pitch in her voice. Aunt Bobbie's voice was a little deeper and a little more, commanding, if you will. Aunt Bobbie always seemed to have that laugh, those "comparisons", just an over all uplifting sound. As I was thinking about the sound of her voice, a reality jolted me. I couldn't recall what my mom sounded like. Not a laugh, not a sneeze, not a sigh, nothing. I can recall the words she used, but not the tone or volume or the emotion of the words. It saddened me. So I started thinking about other family members - my dad - just a vague remembrance, PaPaw Wymer - no - but I could recall how loudly he played his TV when he was "older"! I think he had the volume up loud enough for the neighbors to hear! Mimi - she died when I was a youngin', so. . . . nothing there in the audible department. Granny - well, she was different - a kind of whiny, complaining, demanding voice all rolled into one. Papaw Walton - no - but I could remember his facial language. It was akin to stress, defeat and just plain tiredness all rolled up together. I'm thinking Granny had something to do with this. And I always wanted to stand up for him, though I dared not.

I was caught off guard by this realization. How I can remember one particular voice over many and how it makes me feel. I suppose if I heard voice patterns similar to those I can't remember it may trigger that memory - or not. I don't know. I could read a lot into this, but it would take too much analyzing and I'm not sure I want to analyze myself! Not right now, anyway.

It makes me want to really hear the voices of those I love and love to be around!
Just think, all this from a simple dish towel. (and a simple mind)

No comments:

Post a Comment