When I was just a wee little thing I remember sitting on Mimi's couch with a button box on my lap and a long needle with some twine threaded through stringing buttons. It was a wonderful pass time and every time I look at my button box/jar I think of those days. Other than the fact that most of what you see here came from Bob's mom, Mimi's button box looked much the same.
Inside you would find:
large buttons, small buttons
buttons for shirts
buttons for coats
shank buttons
two hole and four hole buttons
multilayer buttons
buttons with thread still in them
broken buttons
old buttons
shiny buttons
buttons that looked like coins
buttons still in/on the packages
and even the occasional collar stays, needles, thimbles and/or something not even button related
That's what made it a "button box". Although, button box is not really the correct description. It's really a "button tin". Most "button boxes" were actually old cookie tins that had been cleaned out and re-purposed for this very thing. A "button box" is nothing less than mesmerizing! And, aside from being entertained for hours on end threading buttons onto twine, I used to ponder the types of cookies that used to live in that tin. I have learned to never throw away buttons. You just never know how or when you might need them. I even take them off old clothes that I am pitching. I even took one old button back off a card I made at Heidi's house simply because I could not stand the fact that if the card ever got pitched, that gorgeous old button would end up in a land fill somewhere. It belonged to her aunt and I felt the need to save it.
Sorry Heidi.
I don't used my cookie tin above for my button stash any more. I kinda like them in my old motor oil bottle. It shows them off better, I think. And if I want to reminisce about days of old, all I have to do is look at this:
Lovely isn't it? With all it's secrets all buttoned up.


It is lovely to be able to look at your buttons! Buttons are like books, they have personalities and you just can't choose your favorites. Love this!
ReplyDeleteThis is so true! That's why it's so hard to use them for anything "permanent"!
DeleteGlad you rescued that button!! I never said this the day I was sharing my buttons, but it was actually hard for me to give those old buttons up. They were from my grandmother and mother's button stash. I'll have to show you sometime.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I felt the "connection". Sorry for saying they were your aunts. I think I momentarily blacked out when I realized they were old! I would love to see those buttons! !
Delete