I pulled it out of a storage tub back last winter when I was going thru a re-organizing spree. I tried to put like stuff with like stuff. I was overwhelmed to say the least. Anyway ~ my goal was to put a backing on it and finish 'er up. But. . . as I usually do, I over think things. At a glance I was not pleased with the stitching ~ mainly the mess in the middle.
![]() |
| SEE WHY? ?? |
It is a mess of a mess! I am embarrassed that I even had a hand in that mess. So, I started taking the "plate" off the background fabric, removing that hideous center, and giving the "plate" a good pressing. I did two of them. When I got to the third I noticed that the stitching on the "plate" itself was quite different ~ as were all the remaining blocks. The stitches were tighter and more uniform, lending me to realize that, even though I had stitched those hideous centers, my mom had sewn down the remaining "plates". FREEZE FRAME! I had not done this one alone!
I can't take her stitches out. I can't. There will never be any more. But I will take those hideous centers off and replace them. I will restitch the two "plates" I removed. Undoing my mom's labor of love is not an option. But I can do something a little more creative with the blocks themselves.
Sometimes you just have to leave well enough alone and sometimes there needs to be a compromise ~ I think I shall compromise on this one. It will be the best of both worlds. I shall share the end product ~ litterally!
There are more quilt pieces from the past in that storage bin. They have been dormant far too long and I am anxious to bring them to life!

I personally LOVE the messy centers! They look free form and I love the free form look. I would totally keep them :)
ReplyDelete