Wednesday, August 3, 2016

An Epiphany

I'm pretty sure it's been a "coon's age" since my words have graced this page.  I've known I needed to get on here and carry on, but the topics have just eluded me.  I know if I dig deep enough into the archives I could come up with something ~ but I don't want to dig.  I want that "ah-ha!" moment.  That ~ "I remember that!" moment.  The flashbacks of life.  The pains of childhood.  The joys of childhood.  The everyday nonsense of childhood.  Growing up.  Growing older. And older.
Spontaneity. That's what I want. 

Then I had an epiphany.  Until those moments grace my brain ~ again, I will take photos of those things that have traveled life's path with me and document them for posterity.  'Cause everyone knows Mama ain't gettin' no younger! 

I've snagged in insert from an older post ~ updated it a bit to tie the picture to Thanksgiving from my childhood.



My Most Memorable Thanksgiving to Date (Nov 26, 2009)

I have many fond memories of Thanksgiving - one being "turkey wrangling". My mom purchased a not so huge turkey one year. She had left the bird to thaw in the kitchen sink (a no-no by today's standards!). When time came to remove the giblets and neck - the "battle" began. Have you ever tried to wrestle a featherless, wet bird that's bigger than you? Well, it may have been dead, but it hadn't given up the "ghost"! The neck to that bird was so lodged inside that it took my mom and me to remove it. Finally, after chasing it around the sink and across the counter, holding on to it for dear life and trying to keep it off the floor, we finally retrieved the stubborn thing from the slippery wet bird! No wonder we had such a struggle - that neck was long enough for TWO turkeys to share! (no, I don't mean the ones wrestling with said bird!) But amidst the uncontrolled laughter and the slimy clothes, we got that thing dressed and ready for the oven!

*The stuffing (or dressing if you are formal) was pre-Stove Top.  Homemade.  Grossed me out when I found out what was in it, but have since come to love homemade stuffing.  My kids ~ not so much. 
My mom boiled the giblets and neck along with some seasoning in water until they were cooked.  She then chopped up the liver, added some of the neck meat, broth, onion, celery and seasoning to a bowl of bread cubes (she used day old of whatever was available).  Then we got to "taste test" to make sure all the flavors were married together just so.  Once we gave her the green light she piled the stuffing onto that lovely platter and popped it into the oven to bake into a wonderful goodness that one cannot describe. 

When I got married the platter was gifted to me.  I used it a couple times, but realized the delicate condition it was in and put it away. And, yes, she used it with the cracks in it ~ I'm pretty sure that's where all the flavor and love came from.  Something deep within me tells me it may have belonged to her Mom.  All the more special to me.  I love it most of all my "treasures". *

I suppose one day someone else will love it.  Until then it shall sit among my treasures with her head held high.  She is after all, Queen of the Stuffing ~ an Heirloom!



Everything between the * is update.

No comments:

Post a Comment